How to Stake SOL on Solflare Browser
Solana is a blockchain offering ultra-fast and cheap transactions. Solana’s vision is to create a decentralized network of nodes which match the performance of a single node. SOL is the native token on the Solana network and it’s easy to stake with Blockdaemon.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to stake SOL tokens using the Solflare Browser Extension for Chrome and a Ledger device. Note that the staking process is non-custodial, which means that you are in full control of your private keys.
Follow the steps below to stake SOL:
- Install the Ledger Live Desktop App
- Create an Account
- Download The Solflare Browser Extension
- Create a SOLflare account
- Stake With The Blockdaemon Validator
- Check Your SOL Rewards (optional)
You can also check out our Solana and Solflare Browser staking video
Step 1 – Install the Ledger Live Desktop App
- Go to ledger live and download the app. The app is only available for desktop.
- Click the Download the app button and select your preferred version (Mac, Windows, or Linux). Follow the instructions on the screen to install the app.
- Open Ledger Live on your desktop, connect your Ledger device, and then find the Solana app on the device.
- If you don’t have the app installed on the Ledger device, click Manager in the left sidebar of the desktop app, search for Solana in the App catalog, and then click Install.
Step 2 – Create an Account
- Click Accounts in the left pane of Ledger Live, and then click Add account in the upper right corner.
- Open the Solana app on your Ledger device, and then follow the instructions on the device.
- In Ledger Live, enter a name for the account, click Add account, and then click Done.
- Click Accounts in the left pane of Ledger Live to see that the account is now listed in Ledger Live. The Solflare wallet will derive its address from this account and the corresponding private key.
- Close Ledger Live because it might interfere with Solflare.
- Keep the Ledger device connected to your computer and make sure that you’ve enabled blind signing on your Ledger device.
Step 3 – Download Solflare Browser Extension
- Go to Solflare.com.
- Click the Chrome button, and then click the Download button.
- The Chrome store opens. Click the Add to Chrome button. When Solflare has been added to Chrome, it’s listed under Extensions (the puzzle icon).
Step 4 – Create a Solflare Account
- Click the Solflare icon in the browser toolbar to open Solflare.
- Click the Ledger button in the Continue with area.
- If you haven’t already done so, connect your Ledger device and open the Solana app on the Ledger device. Click Continue.
- There’s a message saying that Solflare wants to connect to the Ledger device. Click Connect.
- Set a password for your Solflare wallet, and then click Continue.
- Select a derivation path. (You can learn more about derivation paths on Solflare Academy.)
- You now have an empty wallet. Click Receive, and then send some SOL tokens to the address. How you send tokens varies depending on which Solana wallet you’re transferring the tokens from. Make sure you familiarize yourself with the process before buying or sending tokens.
Now that the account is set up and you have some SOL tokens in the account, you’re ready to stake with the Blockdaemon validator.
Step 4 – Stake With The Blockdaemon Validator
- Click the Staking tab in the top navigation bar.
- To be able to stake with Blockdaemon, click Native SOL Staking, and then click Start Staking.
- Enter the amount of SOL you want to stake (delegate to Blockdaemon). You can’t stake all your SOL tokens because you’ll need some to pay for any future transaction fees including the staking transaction.
- In the Validator field, search for Blockdaemon, and select the Blockdaemon Validator.
- Verify that you’ve selected the Blockdaemon Validator and that the amount of SOL is correct, and then click Stake.
- Follow the instructions on your Ledger device to confirm the transaction.
- When the transaction is confirmed you can see that the status is set to Activating. It can take up to 3 days before the delegation becomes active and you’ll start earning rewards.
Become a Solana Validator
Interested in running your own Solana Validator? Send us a message to get started.